Sunday, October 17, 2010

Suffer the little children

Josh McDowell recently wrote a book entitled "The Last Christian Generation". To that I say AMEN! and AMEN!...bring us home Jesus! But Josh's motivation for the book is quite different. He contends that:
  • today's youth have a distorted view of reality (especially spiritual reality)
  • the church seems less and less able to reach today's youth (especially spiritually)
  • the church ineffectively models true Christ-likeness
  • something needs to be done...now!

I have children and I don't want them to grow up not knowing Jesus. Josh struck at my heart with a certain passage I feel moved to share here (...or better yet, go buy the book and read it on pgs 69-70...or contact me and you can borrow my copy):

--(paraphrased for time and space) "During World War II, men left their young families; sometimes for years. Many small children grew up not knowing their fathers. But their mothers diligently kept the reality of those absent fathers alive in the children's minds. They told those little children how Daddy provided money for their house, clothes, and food. They read and re-read his letters to them; especially the parts encouraging the children to remain brave and to help mommy. The mother would explain and describe what their father was like: his love, integrity, duty, honesty, courage, patriotism. She would let her children know how much she loved their father. And as the day of his return drew near, she guided them on how to respond to their loving father when he appeared.

Finally, that day came. And children everywhere were overjoyed to meet the men they had only heard of and seen in pictures. They rushed into each others arms.

The responsibility of the church and families is to do as those mothers did--reveal the true nature of God to our children and lead them to a proper response to Him. None of us naturally knows how to respond properly to God. We need instruction and training. We even need it with each other: marriage, parenting, teaching, leading. And becoming a committed follower of Christ is no different; we need to learn and go through a growing process. We must reveal the true nature of God to our children and young people and then instruct them through a process of how to respond and relate to Him."

The rest of the book then gently outlines how this is done. Great insights are included for what this generation of youth is feeling, what they face in the world, and what we can do to bring them Jesus.

If you don't have kids, read it anyway...you may have some one day. And if you don't, read it anyway. There are children out there growing up in a world ruled by the prince of this world who is intent on destroying them. "Let the little children come unto me and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 19:14) By not recognizing and identifying the issues plaguing the youth of this generation, I believe we are guilty of forbidding them from coming to Jesus. Despite being raised by a family who religiously attended church and stringently enforced foundational, Biblical values--despite that, I never ever developed any understanding of God's nature nor did I find myself in a personal, real relationship with Him. Yet, deep deep inside, that is exactly what I craved. I am so thankful to have finally begun to have one now. But I do not want my children to have to wait until adulthood like I did. Nor does God...He wants them now. And we are tasked to instruct, guide, and lead our children. His commands to do this are spread throughout His Word.

Josh McDowell's book is a great stepping stone in the right direction. He describes "the process of discipling our youth to be followers of Jesus as simple: Reintroduce God to this generation for who He really is (the God of redemption, relationships, and restoration) and then lead this generation to continually living a life of (1) faith (2) worship (3) prayer (4) loving others (5) making Godly choices (6) spiritual warfare (7) spiritual reproduction" He then describes that this is accomplished primarily through modeling (especially and vitally at the parent level), through certain ministry focus changes (from learning to living), and by becoming intimate with God.

This short little book put into words the failure I experienced though my church and family as a child. It is a failure I will not visit upon my children. I serve a God who loves me and knows me and desires to save me. Thank you Lord...please strengthen me and all those whom You have placed in the lives of Your little children. Help us to bring them to you. Draw us near Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment