Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Splish Splash

There used to be a time when spiritual analogies annoyed me. The people I spent a lot of time around we're ALWAYS coming up with them.  (I have a memory of the Gospel being compared to cotton candy...I leave the rest to your imagination.)
Things have changed a little bit.  For one, I mostly hang out with my children at home and unbelievers at work...so I really don't ever hear spiritual analogies! And secondly, I have realized that many of those people who were forever spouting out metaphors and parallelisms were simply bringing forth from the abundance of their hearts. Their hearts and minds were centered on Jesus. They were not just residing in the physical world; they were spending time on the spiritual plane as well.
This is all by way of an introduction to an analogy I would like to share. You may leave the premises if you so desire. I understand.
My almost ten-month old son loves the water.  He was in the pool all summer and swimming is part of his DNA (his mother and I both swam competitively in high school). Well, this evening it was shower time with Daddy. I told him what we were going to do, took him into the bathroom, and started to get him ready for the shower. He was displeased. Once I actually got him in the running water he was happy...for a moment. Soon, though, he started wiggling around while he tried to exit my arms for destinations abroad. I held him firm, soaped him, rinsed him, and waited for the hot water and thick steam to work their powers. Eventually he relaxed into my arms and even started to doze for a minute before his mother whisked him off into a whirlwind of rough towel drying, slapping Desitin, speedy diapers, and zipping sleepcoats.
Now for the analogy (run now if you must).
I spoke to my son and told him everything we were going to do.  He did not understand.  God does the same thing to us.  He gives us His Word and we don't understand it.  This is mostly because we refuse to listen to it (that is, READ it). And then we are displeased when we perceive our lives going awry.  Of course, every once in a while, we see how good The Lord is.  But we then get antsy.  How much better would it be for us to relax into His arms from the very beginning?! And then to just stay there.

2 comments: