Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mind-blowing!

Marine GySgt Jethro Gibbs (one of my favorite TV-show personalities): "Family is more than DNA. It's the people who care most about you."

Jesus cared for people. Despite the outrage of public opinion, He chose, over and over again, to care for people that were considered unworthy of love. Many people (my own DNA-family included) consider me unworthy of love. I won't disagree with the merits of such a decision; rationally speaking they have probably made a good decision! What staggers me though is the number of people who love me that have no DNA connection to me whatsoever!

First and foremost of these is my wife. Through the miracle/mystery of marriage ("the two shall become one") we have become bound with ties stronger than DNA. Next are a number of elder men who, over the years, have chosen to give of themselves to mentor me in one area or another of my life. There are also a few men, my peers, who have the heart and patience to look past the grossness of "me" to the Spirit living inside me. They have truly taken on the mind of Jesus when they choose to love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment