Monday, June 6, 2011

To pray, or not to pray...that is the question

"...Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints..." (Ephesians 6:18)

The great "armor of God" passage directly precedes this verse and basically concludes with this verse. I don't really remember it being taught in the many studies I have participated in. I have also heard a minister admit that he has oftentimes fluffed over it. Why? Because it shows us how much we don't get it. Consider that phrase: "praying always"...hmmm. Do we do that? I would have to say that I do not. I could, of course, rationalize that Paul was using hyperbole. But I remember that he uttered this directive more than once:
Col 1:9 "For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;"
1Th 5:17 "pray without ceasing,"
2Th 1:11 "Therefore we also pray always for you that our God would count you worthy of [this] calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of [His] goodness and the work of faith with power,"
1Ti 2:8 "I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting;"

In addition, the example of Jesus is wildly awash with prayer. This is seen, not just in the Gospels, but also in what we are told about Jesus' current activities: "Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them." (Hebrews 7:25) and also "Who shall bring a charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us." (Romans 8:33-34)

So, the question begs, what is our response? Do I fluff over this call to prayer? Is it just another, in a seemingly endless line, of those instructions stemming forth from the Bible and decreed from the pulpit for the righteous and doctrinally inclined? I think not. Jesus wants a relationship with us. I can think of no other way that better pulls us out of the quicksand of earthly existence and brings us into the spiritual plane. We can turn to prayer in every living activity that I can think of. Even sleep!! I remember the instance of preparing and giving a Bible study...it was incredible! Probably the best I ever did...and it was in a dream!!

I have experienced what refocusing on God through prayer can do to my mental/emotional state. Putting God squarely in the center of my thought life manifests itself directly in my actual life. Unfortunately, I don't do it "unceasingly". But I want to. I need to. I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment