Thursday, November 7, 2013

More on friends

Here is a letter I recently wrote.  

I will be praying for you my friend. Praying lots. I look forward to spending some time, any time, with you soon!
Someone asked me how I manage my friendships on top of everything else in life...work, family, etc.  I like to say that:
1) I don't have many true friendships outside of my marriage and family. I have given this lots of thought and I don't think it is necessarily Gods will (for me at least, and I would guess many others) to have many true friendships. Acquaintances...yes. Fellowship with fellow believers...yes. Neighbors...yes. Fellow citizens and community partners...yes. But deep, strong friendships characterized by love, sacrifice, and faith...not necessarily. I look to one of the keenest friendships in Gods Word, David & Jonathan, for inspiration. Those two guys didn't have a bevy of men around them with whom they shared similar friendships...at least that is recorded. But what they had between themselves was remarkable and special.  And it was strongly characterized by many lengthy absences...which leads to my next point...
2) what true friendships you have are, I believe, defined by their ability to reunite after absences and pick up where they left off at as if no time had passed at all.  These are the type of friendships that can and will weather the turbulence and ever changing landscapes of our individual lives. They allow for the necessary timeouts imposed on them by the other demands of our lives.  And they patiently wait for whatever moments are given them in whatever season God deems fit....knowing that at the end of it all, our times spent together here on earth, limited as they may have been, will have paled during the bright eternity awaiting us.

All this to say, I can count on one hand the types of friendships i enjoy that meet these harsh descriptions...and yours is at the top of the list my friend!

🇺🇸 

No comments:

Post a Comment