Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Star in the East

"I saw a star in the east."

"There are plenty of stars in the east."

"But this one moves... and the dream I had last night, I didn't tell you about the dream. In the dream I saw an angel, bright as the sun, fly through the sky blowing a trumpet. He flew from the East to the West and many people followed. No one knew what was going on, but everyone knew it was something big. We followed it to find the birth of a lamb. As soon as the lamb was born, people tried to kill it, but it ran away and was hidden. Then, for some strange reason, it came out of hiding, walked into the midst of its enemies, and lay down. The people killed it and were rejoicing, but the body of the lamb changed into a mighty lion and rose and scattered his enemies. It was amazing. What do you think it means?"

"I think it means you are drinking too much wine before going to bed."

"But it's not just me. Your brother told me this morning that he had the same exact dream and looking at the star, he says it's like the angel. We're following it tonight. The lion is the king of the animals. Maybe we are going to witness the birth of a king."

"But you saw the lamb. the lion didn't come till later."

"I don't understand it, but I'm still going. Would you like to join us?"

"Ha! and follow a star to see something I don't understand? I never understood you astrologers anyways, always looking at the stars. Don't you realize that so many of us work to make sure you have food and shelter so you can spend your time outside, letting your dinner get cold looking up at the stars? You should spend your time thinking more about what's down here. There are plenty of things around here that you can spend your time looking at instead of the stars."

"That's true, but then I wouldn't have noticed the star. I don't think that understanding this world is all there is to it. I believe the answer is up, and not down."

"People with their heads down do better at their work."

"People with their heads down get run over by carts in the street."

"Fine, go and see this baby lamb. You don't do anything around the house anyways. Wait... what are you packing frankincense for?"

"You can't go and see a king empty handed. I have to bring something."

"But that's our best stuff! At least take a smaller bottle."

"To a king who is rich, this may not mean much. It may be tossed aside with other treasures as soon as I leave the room, but to us, it's our best. If i don't give my best, than I dishonor the king."

"But he doesn't even know you. He won't know you didn't give the best."

"But I will. I would be lying to a king. Whether or not I get caught shouldn't motivate me to lie to a king... or anyone for that matter."

"You're impossible."

"Speaking of impossible, come see us off tonight and you'll see the star move like I told you."

"I think this is a waste of your time."

"Which, according to you, is practically worthless anyways."

"Okay. I'll see you off. When do you think you'll be back."

"As soon as I've done all I've set out to do."

"I won't wait up."

2 comments:

  1. more, more...need more!! Reads like a Gene Edwards story. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. read it again...liked it even more

    ReplyDelete